Monday, June 6, 2011

Artlantis - 2011

Had a great time showing at Artlantis over the weekend.

Even though it was HOT.  Not like terrestrial Earth hot, we're talking molten surface of God's eye hot.

If you're not familiar, Artlantis is an Atlanta annual outdoor art and music festival run by the good people of Beep Beep Gallery.  It is host to a lot of very interesting artists who tend to work outside of the normal, boring, and culturally mundane styles and subject matter that one normally encounters at a local gallery or outdoor festival.  I particularly enjoyed the work of some of my more extreme Artlantis neighbors: Kenn Twofour, Nathan Phaneuf, Jenny Birdsong, and Stephanie Anderson.

Artlantis - 2011

I was very pleased to move 3 large pieces and a ton of prints over the course of the show.  Its interesting watching peoples' reactions to the pieces, which range from fascination to a kind of upper-middle-class cultural fear (which I also enjoy).

One woman told me, "Your art is so... DARK.  Are you angry?  Are you sad?".

Well, like all humans, I am often have emotions such as anger or sadness... I just paint them and reflect on them rather than compartmentalizing them into a box and burying them deep in my mind where I can pretend they don't exist.  To each his own.

Thanks again to everyone who came out to check out the booth and to those of you who expressed interest, talked about art, or bought a piece.  I appreciate your interest and patronage.

Also thanks to my wife Leah for her marketing suggestions and for sticking it out in the blazing infernal sun with me. ;)

-CHUK

No comments:

Post a Comment