Monday, August 22, 2011

The Lotus of Life and Death - part 1



I was originally intending originally to paint Adam Kadmon. However the sketch for it was exhausting to create and I have decided to let the concept marinate for some time before I tackle the painting. Also, having been out of country in Cancun, I was in possession of idle time and a sketchbook. The resort in Cancun had alot of mythical sculpture from all over the world and I became inspired to produce the sketch for this - The Lotus of Life and Death.

From The Lotus of Life and Death

I like to select the area of the piece that "defines" it and just paint that area most of the way to completion... if I can get that portion to my satisfaction, it allows the me the confidence of knowing the piece will succeed ultimately, and also gives me an area to refer to for consistency. Anyway, I did that for this piece and was excited enough about the result to post it.

Aside from the esoteric concepts and psychedelic surrealism that I'm always trying to achieve, my focus on this piece will be extreme color theory, volumetric shading and working on a tight, almost liquid specularity.

-CHUK

No comments:

Post a Comment